Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vacation Recap Day #6 – Ketchikan, Alaska

Day before the cruise – Seattle, WA
Day #1 onboard the Norwegian Pearl
Day #2 “At Sea” day
Day #3 – Juneau, Alaska
Day #4 – Skagyway, Alaska
Day #5 – Glacier Bay
Day #6 – Ketchikan, Alaska
Day #7 – Victoria, BC
Day #8 - Back in Seattle 

I forgot to mention something in my Glacier Bay post.  This was the conversation between my husband and my mother.

While looking at chunks of ice floating in the water….

Mom: “I’m looking for hidden Mickey’s in the ice!”
Jason: “If this were a Disney ship, they would have divers hiding in the water, shaping the ice into Mickey ears!”
Mom: “REALLY?!?!?”

Yes….she really did believe him.  Oh my mother…..gotta love her!

break

Our morning in Ketchikan came early!  I didn’t even bother to run that morning because it was still cold and rainy!  I did attempt to go to the gym once….it was PACKED!  Besides, when I have weather that I can actually breathe in, why would I want to be cooped up in a hot smelly gym to run?

DSC_0428
Dsc_04301

Our view when we stepped off the boat was amazing. What a cute, quaint little fishing town!

Dsc_04341
Dsc_04371

We docked in port and hurried through the shops to get as many “free” items as possible. Yes, we were one of those who followed the “free jewelry” gimmick….even though we actually did receive quite a few stone necklaces that I really like!

Dsc_04431

In one of the stores, we found a “Northern Lights” Topaz set that we really liked.  My mom and I each got a set. The set included a necklace, earrings, and a ring.  I love mine!  Since I let Jason buy a watch on board the ship, he said I could get a piece of jewelry in port! After our purchases, we hurried back to the port so we could board a bus for our excursion.

DSC_0453

Our Ketchikan excursion took us down the main streets of Ketchikan and into a Hatchery!

DSC_0458 Dsc_04571

We first got to see two live bald eagles. They were in captivity because they were both found with bad wings – they were only babies when they were found, so this cultural center is all they’ve ever known.

Dsc_04621 Dsc_04711
Dsc_04751

We also got to see a salmon hatchery which was pretty neat!

Dsc_04861DSC_0490

This bird died while trying to snatch fish out of one of the tanks!  He got his neck stuck and it snapped on the ropes. Sad times for the bird!

 Dsc_04931
Dsc_05011

After watching the fish, we got back on the bus and drove to Totem Heritage Center.

Dsc_05391

This center is full of Totem poles that are under preservation to protect their history!

Dsc_05451

It was a pretty neat little place!

After walking through the Heritage center, we got back on the bus and drove to Totem Bight State Park!

Dsc_06271Dsc_05651

This State Park is full of totem poles which is pretty cool!

Dsc_05751

This tree and it’s roots were kinda funky!

Dsc_06031Dsc_06071

In Totem Bight, we learned the history of various totem poles and we were even allowed inside of one of the ceremonial houses.  It was neat hearing how the natives lived years and years ago!  The symbolism and the meaning behind everything was really neat to hear as well.  However, it was rainy and very cold outside so I don’t think I enjoyed myself as best as I could.

Dsc_05971 Dsc_06021  

An old preserved ceremonial house.  The doors were small to protect from invaders!

Dsc_06111

Beautiful shoreline.

 Dsc_06501

My husband is so silly!  This is the gift shop at Totem Bight!  Apparently the bear is an LSU fan, too! Hah!

Dsc_0655

After Totem Bight, we were able to shop around in the stores a little more. This was our last stop in Alaska and I think out of all our stops, this was the shortest. We were back on the boat by 1:30 p.m. 
Honestly, I really did not enjoy this excursion at all. I thought it was going to be so much more than it was – according to the description on the NCL website.  Out of all of our excursions, this was definitely my least favorite.

Dsc_06601

A lot of these homes don’t have streets leading to them, so people have to park on the street and carry everything by hand up their “wooden streets”.

I think I took a nap during the afternoon but I really don’t remember!

We ate dinner in Summer Palace….

Dsc_06721

…and my parents sneakily told the waiter that it was my birthday the following day!

Dsc_06751

I was serenaded and we each received a piece of cake!  It was fun!!! :0)

We watched the nighttime show after dinner and I’m sorry to say, but this one singer totally botched “Defying Gravity” from Wicked. It is my favorite song from Wicked and she totally ruined it.  Ugh.

Dsc_06861

The staff of the Pearl!  WASHY WASHY!!!!!!

After the show, guess what we did?!  We hit the 10 p.m. CHOCOLATE BUFFET!!!!

Dsc_06891

YUMMY!

Dsc_06911

All kinds of awesome goodies!

Dsc_06921 Dsc_06971

With a full tummy, we hit the sack and went to sleep!

Dsc_07081

Not before I made friends with the little mouse who was hiding in my bed! :0)

Up next: Day #6 – At Sea and Victoria, BC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...